1992-1998 Research associate; Graduate School of Agricultute, Kyoto Prefectural University
1998-2008 Associate professor; Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University
2008-present Professor, Graduate School of Global Environmental Studies and Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University
Membership of academic societies:
Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Japanese Society of Pedology
Japanese Society of Forest Environment
Japanese Society for Tropical Agriculture
Japan Society of Tropical Ecology
Japanese Association for Arid Land Studies
International Union of Soil Science
Soil Science Society of America
- Funakawa, S., Yoshida, H., Watanabe, T., Sugihara, S., Kilasara, M., and Kosaki, T. 2012. 1. Soil fertility status and its determining factors in Tanzania. In Soil Health and Land Use Management. Ed. M. C. Hernandez-Soriano, p.3–16, InTech – Open Access Publisher, Rijeka, Croatia.
- Funakawa, S., Kadono, A., Morioka, K., Watanabe, T., Pachikin, K., Wang, G., and Kubota, J. 2012. Distribution pattern of soils in the foothills of the Tienshan and Altai Mountains in Central Eurasia. Pedologist, 56(1), 13–27.
- Funakawa, S., Watanabe, T., Kadono, A., Nakao, A., Fujii, K., and Kosaki, T. 2011: 4. Soil resources and human adaptation in forest and agricultural ecosystems in humid Asia. In World Soil Resources and Food Security. Eds. R. Lal and B.A. Stewart. p.53–167, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, London, New York.
- Funakawa, S., Watanabe, T., Nakao, A., Fujii, K., and Kosaki, T. 2011: 5. Pedogenetic acidification in upland soils under different bioclimatic conditions in humid Asia. In World Soil Resources and Food Security. Eds. R. Lal and B.A. Stewart. p.169–269, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, London, New York.
- Funakawa, S., Shinjo, H., Kadono, A., and Kosaki, T. 2010: Factors controlling in situ decomposition rate of soil organic matter under various bioclimatic conditions of Eurasia. Pedologist, 53(3), 50–66.
- Funakawa, S., Makhrawie, and Puluggono, H.B. 2009: Soil fertility status under shifting cultivation in East Kalimantan with special reference to mineralization patterns of labile organic matter. Plant and Soil, 319, 57–66.
- Funakawa, S., Hirooka, K., and Yonebayashi, K. 2008: Temporary storage of soil organic matter and acid neutralizing capacity during the process of pedogenetic acidification of forest soils in Kinki District, Japan. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 54, 434–448.
- Funakawa, S., Watanabe, T., and Kosaki, T. 2008: Regional trends in the chemical and mineralogical properties of upland soils in humid Asia: With special reference to the WRB classification scheme. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 54, 751–760.
- Funakawa, S., Tachikawa, S., Kadono, A., Pulunggono, H.B., and Kosaki, T. 2008: Factors controlling soil organic matter decomposition in small home gardens in different regions of Indonesia. Tropics, 17, 59–72.
- Funakawa, S. and Kosaki, T. 2007: Potential risk of soil salinization in different regions of Central Asia with special reference to salt reserve in deep layers of soils. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 53, 634–649.
- Funakawa, S., Yanai, J., Takata, Y., Karbozova-Saljnikov, E., Akshalov, K., and Kosaki, K. 2007: Dynamics of water and soil organic matter under grain farming in Northern Kazakhstan – Toward sustainable land use both from the agronomic and environmental viewpoints. In Climate Change and Terrestrial Carbon Sequestration in Central Asia. Eds. R. Lal, M. Suleimenov, B.A. Stewart, D.O. Hanson, and P. Doraiswamy. p.279–331, Taylor & Francis, Leiden, Netherlands.
- Funakawa, S., Nishiyama, Y., Kato, A., Kadono, A., and Kosaki, T. 2006: Temperature and moisture dependence of organic matter decomposition in soils from different environments, with special reference to the contribution of light- and heavy-fraction C. Pedologist, 50, 29–45.
- Funakawa, S., Hayashi, Y., Tazaki, I., Sawada, K., and Kosaki, T. 2006: The main functions of the fallow phase in shifting cultivation by the Karen people in northern Thailand – a quantitative analysis of soil organic matter dynamics. Tropics, 15, 1–27.
- Funakawa, S., Ashida, M., and Yonebayashi, K. 2003: Charge characteristics of forest soils derived from sedimentary rocks in Kinki District, Japan, in relation to pedogenetic acidification process. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 49, 387–396.
- Funakawa, S., Suzuki, R., Karbozova, E., Kosaki, T., and Ishida, N. 2000: Salt-affected soils under rice-based irrigation agriculture in southern Kazakhstan. Geoderma, 97, 61–85.
- Funakawa, S., Yonebayashi, K., John, F.S., and Chai, O.K. 1996: Nutritional environment of tropical peat soils in Sarawak, Malaysia based on soil solution composition. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 42(4), 833–843.
- Funakawa, S., Nambu, K., Hirai, H., and Kyuma, K. 1993: Pedogenetic acidification of forest soils in northern Kyoto. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 39(4), 677–690.