- Tel: 075-753-2967
- E-mail: usami.makoto.2r*kyoto-u.ac.jp (replace * with @)
- URL: http://www.envpolicy.ges.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
- LL.D., Nagoya University, 1996.
- M.A. in Law, Nagoya University, 1991.
- B.A. in Law, Nagoya University, 1989.
- Professor, Graduate School of Global Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, 2013 to the present.
- Adjunct Professor (2013-2015), Professor (2008-2013), Associate Professor (2004-2008), Graduate School of Decision Science and Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology.
- Professor (2002-2004), Associate Professor (1996-2002), Lecturer (1993-1996), Faculty of Law, Chukyo University.
- Research Associate, School of Law, Nagoya University, 1991-1993.
Recent books in Japanese
- Hirohide Takikawa, Makoto Usami, and Takehiro Ohya, Philosophy of Law, Tokyo: Yuhikaku (2014).
- Makoto Usami (ed.), Global Justice, Tokyo: Keiso Shobo (2014).
- Ken Takeshita and Makoto Usami (eds.), Frontiers of the History of Legal Thoughts: Exploring Private Law Theory, Kyoto: Showado (2013).
- Makoto Usami, Justice, Liberty, and Equality: Selected Lectures, Tokyo: Takeda Random House Japan (2011).
- Makoto Usami and Shinichiro Hama (eds.), Ronald Dworkin, Tokyo: Keiso Shobo (2011).
- Makoto Usami (ed.), Law and Economics: Exploring the Foundations and Frontiers, Tokyo: Keiso Shobo (2010).
Recent journal articles and book chapters in English
- Makoto Usami, “Defining Truth Commission,” Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 2, Issue 1, 2016, pp. 56–61.
- Makoto Usami, “Justice after Catastrophe: Responsibility and Security,” Ritsumeikan Studies in Language and Culture, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 215–230 (2015).
- Makoto Usami, “Law and Public Policy in Contemporary Japan,” in Yukio Adachi, Sukehiro Hosono, and Jun Iio (eds.), Policy Analysis in Japan, Bristol: Policy Press, pp. 73–87 (2015).
- Makoto Usami, “Deliberation, Expertise and Sustainability,” in Kazuhiro Ueta and Yukio Adachi (eds.), Transition Management for Sustainable Development, Tokyo: United Nations University Press, pp. 189–204 (2014).
- Makoto Usami, “Intergenerational Rights: A Philosophical Examination,” in Patricia Hanna (ed.), An Anthology of Philosophical Studies, Vol. 5, Athens: Athens Institute of Education and Research, pp. 333–342 (2011).
- Makoto Usami, “Intergenerational Justice: Rights versus Fairness,” Philosophy Study, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 237–246 (2011).
- Makoto Usami, “Law as Public Policy: Combining Justice with Interest,” in Tadeusz Biernat and Marek Zirk-Sadowski (eds.), Politics of Law and Legal Policy: Between Modern and Post-Modern Jurisprudence, Warsaw: Wolters Kluwer Polska, pp. 292–315 (2008).
Other recent works in English
- Tetsu Sakurai and Makoto Usami (eds.), Human Rights and Global Justice (Archiv für Rechts- und Sozialphilosophie, Beiheft 139), Stuttgart: Franz Steiner Verlag, 2014.